October 22, 2014

Vocation Day 2014

For the past 24 years, St. Christopher's School in Nashua has been holding a Vocation Day.  This is a day dedicated to introducing the various vocations in the Church to the students and to encourage them to consider God's call in their lives.  The day begins with Mass, followed by a lovely breakfast for the presenters, and then the students hear from 3 speakers in 20 minute intervals.

I was privileged to be invited to speak again this year.  This was the fourth time I have spoken at Vocation Day and it's always one of my favorite days of the year.  The Mass was celebrated by our superintendent, Fr. John Fortin, OSB, who stressed his his homily that he wanted to be something different every year in school - a fireman one year, a pilot the next, a lawyer, etc.  It wasn't until much later, he said, that he discovered that God was calling him to be a monk and a priest.  He encouraged the students to listen to God's voice and whatever they do in life, do it well.

Following Mass, we were treated to a great breakfast and the presenters had an opportunity to spend time together.  We were then taken to our classrooms.  I first went to a pre-K class along with the president of Bishop Guertin High School and a Sacred Heart brother, also from Bishop Guertin.  We had fun talking to them and at one point I was attacked as I went to high five them!  I told them I was used to it as I have 3 kids of my own who do the same thing to me everyday!  I then spoke to one fifth grade class and two sixth grade classes.  I spoke of my marriage and my job and how money will never, ever make them happy.  Follow your passions, I told them, and God will always provide.

St. Christopher's is one of the premier schools in the diocese and I believe is the biggest Catholic elementary school in the diocese.  Mrs. Clarke the principal does amazing work with such an amazing faculty and staff and supportive parents.  Kudos to them for all they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment