November 24, 2014

430 and counting...

The Monday before Thanksgiving is always the day we collect Thanksgiving Baskets to distribute to the food pantries at the Parish of the Transfiguration and Blessed Sacrament Parish, both here in Manchester.  We have been running this basket drive for 10 years or so and is always one of our most popular works of mercy efforts, even with former parents and alums.

We usually have the students drop the baskets off on the front lawn of our school but it was pouring this morning so they were brought to the gym.  I stood outside greeting and thanking everyone and in complete awe of the number of baskets that came in.  All told, between our students, the students at St. Joseph Regional Junior High School, faculty, and friends we have over 430 baskets sitting in our gym right now with some more yet to come.  I can never thank this community enough for all they do for the poor in our midst and as always on days like this, our morning prayer came from Matthew 25:

'Come, you who are blessed by my Father. 
Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 
For I was hungry and you gave me food,
I was thirsty and you gave me drink,
a stranger and you welcomed me,
naked and you clothed me,
ill and you cared for me,
in prison and you visited me.’
Then the righteous will answer him and say,
'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you,
or thirsty and give you drink? 
When did we see you a stranger and welcome you,
or naked and clothe you? 
When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?’
And the king will say to them in reply,
'Amen, I say to you, whatever you did
for one of the least brothers of mine, you did for me.’

No comments:

Post a Comment