November 21, 2014

Best week ever

I love Thanksgiving.  It's all about food, football, family, 4-day weekend...and no presents to buy!  Since I've been in Campus Ministry, Thanksgiving is almost a full week long holiday for me.

The Monday of Thanksgiving is always the day we collect our Thanksgiving Baskets so I begin the morning greeting everyone outside as they drop them off.  Throughout the day, I love looking outside and seeing hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of baskets on our front lawn.  At 3pm, we caravan to the Parish of the Transfiguration and Blessed Sacrament Parish, the recipients of our baskets.  It's always so heartwarming to see the people who will volunteer to distribute the baskets the next day.

On Tuesday, I take group of students to the Radisson Hotel in Manchester to help out at the New Horizons Thanksgiving Breakfast.  This annual event raises over $100,000 for New Horizons and our students help out by selling raffle tickets, collecting donations, etc.  Everyone who is everyone in Manchester is at the breakfast and is a chance to see some old friends.

Finally on Wednesday we give thanks to our God as a school community with our Thanksgiving Mass.  Fr. Richard Dion will be our celebrant at Msgr. Anthony Fronterio, the chaplain of St. Joseph Regional Junior High School, will con-celebrate as the St. Joe's community will be joining us.

This triduum of sorts is such a great way to enter into Thanksgiving.  I can't believe I get paid to do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment